Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday Gap Fire Update

7:30pm

More optimism today! They’ve lifted the Evacuation Warnings in the area just north of us, so I think I’ll unpack tonight. The fire is still not out yet, of course. But it is moving into unpopulated areas.

The weather was great today! We awoke to fog overhead, and though that doesn’t necessarily mean fog up in the foothills, it does mean an onshore flow and higher humidity. They've downgraded the air quality alerts. It is safe to breathe again!

Edison folks expect more power interruptions, and they are asking us to conserve electricity.

Here is a link to the latest map. It shows the perimeter as of last night.


Latest statistics:
Acres burned: 9,600
Percent contained: 35%
Expected containment: unknown
Injuries: 4 (two with smoke inhalation, one allergic bee sting and one heat exhaustion)
Structures threatened: 3,239
Structures destroyed: 4 Outbuildings
Suppression cost to date: $7.6 Million
Cause: Human cause; under investigation.

6 comments:

RetroMag said...

I'm so thankful things are settling down!

If it was indeed human caused, I hope it was an accident and not intentional. Besides human suffering, the cost is stupendous.

RetroMag said...

I'm so thankful things are settling down!

If it was indeed human caused, I hope it was an accident and not intentional. Besides human suffering, the cost is stupendous.

RetroMag said...

Either I am loony or this computer is. It kept indicating that my comment wasn't posted and then did it twice.

Shoe said...

Just after I posted my last post, we lost power again. Luckily, it was for less than 2 hours. This is the only lingering effect we have. And as a result, I wasn't able to unpack. Tomorrow, for sure!

BobbieS53 said...

I was looking at the map and see that the route I take to walk when I visit you is not that far from the edge of the fire. I always get my directions mixed up out there. North is east and south is west. So I guess it is the eastern border. I'm happy that they are getting a handle on it.

P-Doobie said...

I'm breathing easier.