Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gap Fire Almost Out!

The latest about the Gap Fire:

About 90% contained; full containment expected by Tuesday the 22nd.
9,443 acres burned
4 outbuildings destroyed -- no homes destroyed!
Suppression costs so far: $20.4 Million
Cause: Human-caused; under investigation
Injuries: 12
There is still a small area that has an evacuation order, and other areas that are in "warning" mode.

There are plenty of "Thank you, Firefighters" signs around town. Thank goodness for them!

We had a power outage from about 8:00 last night till about 11:30 this morning. It wasn't fire related as far as we know; we heard the "boom" of a transformer. It was a weird outage: for most of the morning, it came and went, and when we had power, it was just a little bit.

4 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

I'm glad it's almost back to normal. Fire is way too nerve wracking. I hate when I smell smoke anymore...even in winter when people have fireplaces going.

P-Doobie said...

I was driving home from Cody in 2000 after the fire, and there was a controlled burn in Colorado. I smelled the smoke and almost freaked. I don't like the smell of smoke anymore either.

RetroMag said...

I'm so glad it's under control. And I hope you don't have any more power outages. I hope everything in your refrigerator was O.K.

Chuckbert said...

I'm happy to hear that the fire is about out.

Squirrels make transformers explode now and then (but there has to be a better way of getting rid of squirrels). I wonder if that's the sort of thing that caused your disruption.