Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tea Fire: No News

No news is good news! There are no new developments. Hand crews have been working to mop up hot spots and will continue to do so today. There have been no winds.

The LA Times is reporting 40% containment. The current official number of homes burned is 111.

The Governator is going to tour the area this morning. He has declared a state of emergency.

BobBIE mentioned that the news media focused on the celebrities who live in the area. It irks me a bit, because they are definitely in the minority. A quick mental inventory of the people I've known recently in the burn area or the evacuation area includes: a real estate agent and his accounting student wife, a former UCSB dean, a couple UCSB professors, some engineers, a physical therapist and her carpenter husband, and Kevin & Erin's kindergarten teacher. Not a celebrity in the bunch (though Mrs. Winn comes darn close!).

Mike won't have to work tonight! I suspect they are going to start letting people back in today.

As long as there are no winds, I think we can say this fire is under control, so I'll post no more updates unless it changes.

There is another fire burning down in LA today. I wish it would rain.

3 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Whew! I hope it's the end of this one. I feel so sad for those that lost their homes. I hope Mrs. Winn was not one of them.

RetroMag said...

I know that the terrible fire has dampened your spirits for your special day, but I wish you a happy birthday anyhow!

I'm so glad the fire is under control. I feel so sad for all those who lost their homes. Do you know if any of them are people you know?

Shoe said...

Mrs. Winn's house is on the edge of the evacuation area, not in the burn area, so I'm pretty sure she is OK. I know only a couple people in the area personally, and I know a bunch as former clients. One was a pretty recent one, and I think they were right in the middle of it. It's tragic any way you look at it.