Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rattlesnake Singed




Ooooh! I felt so naughty as I skirted around the barrier tape to get a look at Rattlesnake Canyon today! (Cuff me, Squiddo!) But I was a blogger not a hiker--I was just walking and taking pictures--gotta do my journalistic duty!

It was a little eerie having the only car parked at the trail head. And when a red-tailed hawk flying nearby gave a shriek, it was really eerie! Without the leaves on the brush to attenuate, he sounded like he was comin' for me!

I didn't go far....just to the second creek crossing. And I had some company, like this guy:



and this guy. He seemed a bit disoriented, and no wonder. He is supposed to be nocturnal. I think he must have lost his home.




I also saw various birds. A couple squirrels. But no lizards! It was weird not seeing the requisite alligator lizard every few steps.

Here are some pictures.
















Doesn't it look like a scene from a Dr. Seuss book?


A few trees had aleady been cut down.


A few others--but not many--had tags on them, like this one.


I wonder what "Killer Tree" means. Some of the tags were on non-descript, and certainly non-threatening-looking bushes, like this one:



My beloved Rattlesnake Canyon, which I've shared with you here a couple times, was singed. And in places, more than singed. But it'll grow back. And quickly, too. Perhaps next spring we'll have a wildflower wonderland. Many species of wildflower love fire.

I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

P-Doobie said...

Thanks for the images, Izzy. Next spring you will have a wonderland of grasses and wildflowers.

BobbieS53 said...

Don't let Squiddo catch you! Thanks for the pix!

Poss said...

there were alot of killer trees behind Mom's house after the fire, but I can't remember why they were named.

RetroMag said...

It looks pretty desolate now, but like you said, beawutiful flowers will appear in the spring.