Monday, October 13, 2008

Inflation Calculator

Here is a nifty tool in case you are wondering about the amounts that Jack mentions in his letters.

The $70 a week he mentions making working graveyards (thanks, Poss, for GY = Graveyard) works out to about $941 today.

The $10 he sent to Aunt Bo as a birthday present would be about $134 today.

One thing that I think we can agree on about Jack. In the midst of his many traits, good and bad, he was always generous with his money.

5 comments:

P-Doobie said...

Absolutely right about the generosity with money, Izzy. Another thing he was generous with was books. Whatever book I wanted as a kid, he'd get it for me.

Chuckbert said...

So Dad was generous with money? I never noticed that trait. Allowance? Movie money? I thought that if we wanted anything we had to earn the money for ourselves.

Chuckbert said...

Oops! I forgot to mention the big one: college. "You're on your own, kid."

Generous?

Shoe said...

I don't remember it like that, chuckbert. Maybe it is just a reflection of my being the Bay-bee and getting the best from him and escaping the worst.

Allowance, yes. Movie money, yes. I don't recall help specifically with college. I think I did that pretty much on my own. But I do remember plenty of checks, cash, and gas money. And he was generous with my kids. And he was obviously generous with his Family of Origin back in the day.

I'm sorry you didn't experience that from him.

BobbieS53 said...

I think it was the Bay-bee thing. I had to earn my money which is why I was always washing dishes...!0 cents to wash, 10 cents to rinse. WooHoo! I was really raking it in. I also babysat all the time! College tuition...I did that on my own. Dad was generous with his sisters, but always with conditions attached. I think that's what caused all the problems later.