Wednesday, October 15, 2008
November 13, 1943 & December 1, 1943
More from Bremerton, Washington.
Nov 9 '43
Dear Ma
Ill try to get another letter started and see if I can finish it befor the usual Sat letter.
It is still chilly here & me I have been working out side so I have noticed it. It didn't seem so cold last night until I got off then I noticed it. I have been working on the blisters and most of it is out side work in fact it is all considered outside.
Say while I am thinking about it do I have a shoe ration stamp in one of the new books. I have been thinking about buying smaller pair of work shoes, the soles are out on mine all ready & when it rains I get my feet wet. It also take 2 or 3 weeks to get a pair of shoes fixed here & thats quite a while to wear low shoes.
I got another war bond last night so it means that much more cash in hand. It sure takes them a long time to get them out to us, it doesn't take them that long to get us to sign up for them though. Oh well I guess every one is out after the other fellows money so whats the difference.
Say when is that dear Miss Florence E_____ suppose to finish school. She better start thinking about getting a job as soon as she gets out & I don't mean a 30¢ a hour job either.
I have been thinking about going fishing but am like Dad Kruse just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess the fresh water season is closed but salt water fishing is always open, you also don't need a license to fish in salt water.
I noticed the yard is tearing down all the bomb shelters & etc. I guess they aren't afraid since they took the islands. Oh well it wouldn't make much difference to a whole lot of the guys if they did blow this place off the map as long as they got out.
Nov 13 -43 (same letter)
Dear Ma it seems that I am so lazy I stink. I shouldn't I just took a shower a couple days ago.
OK here goes and I don't want you to start worrying about it. Your son is Pvt Bernard C. E______ 37215612 in the U.S. Army. Uncle Sam sent me another one of those little papers about 3 weeks ago asking me if I wished to join the armed forces. I felt like saying no but you know how it is when someone beckons you, just like getting married or something. I went over to Seattle & was sworn in I also passed my physical with flying colors. They took me off the Limited service & put me in general service so I was very happy. I will leave here Dec 3rd so judge your mail & also I'll need to send in my ration books so send them too me so they will get here by that time. The physical they gave us here was a snap compared to the one they gave us in N. Mex. I believe if I had taken my first one here I would have passed.
I would have written you sooner but I knew you would just start worrying about it, & there's no sense worrying because I can still take care of my self.
Well we hopped clear across the U.S. last night from West Va to Calif. That's a pretty big jump now isn't it. I sure didn't do any thing either, I welded for about 15 min.
I am planning on working up to a day or 2 of the time to leave. I will have my checks made out to be sent to you just hold them till I get located and then send them to me. I had you made out as Beneficiary & florence is alternate.
Well Ill close now and try to get this thing mailed this time.
Jack
P.S. Get the biggest service flag you can get & charge it to me.
Enclosed $25
Dec 1 1943
Dear Ma
Well Ill try to write you a letter I don't know how I'll end up because I have been going around & around. I quite the yard this morning-that is after a fashion, I guess I am through because they took my convict picture away from me & I can't get back in. I had all my stuff sent to your address such as checks & bonds.
I tried to pack my stuff this morning & I ain't just saying it but I really have a headack. I more or less forgot just when I was supposed to leave & it slipped up on me all of a sudden.
I just can't seem to write my head is swimming thinking about what I haven't done yet. I think I have done almost every thing up to date but I suppose the last minet I'll remember some thing.
(writing with different pen) Well this is my last night - I ship out in the morning about 8:00. This is going to be short but sweet.
I recived your letter today & also one from Marg so I was happy - tell her I'll write after I get located.
I got tight Sat night also today but feel fine now so I guess its ok. - Say send me your birth dates - you and the kids & etc.
Ill let you know where I land the first time I land.
Has been very nice the last few days - raining all the time & I mean rain. Just like N.M. Well I'll have to close now as it is 12AM & I have to get up at 7
Enclosed is a $50 bond.
Every thing will be sent to you.
Jack
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment