After we found the box of letters, I sat at BobBIE's and sorted them into chronological order by postmark. That is how I will post them, but by the time he was sending letters from overseas, the postmark (in the States) will probably not always be chronological with the date the letter was written back in England. So, we'll just have to pretend we are Gram or Bo and read them as they probably received them.
As you know, during the early years of the war, before Jack joined the United States Army Air Corps, he worked in the shipyards of Bremerton, Washington. In 1942, they were repairing many of the ships damaged at Pearl Harbor.
The first bunch of letters are from Washington. Because Jack's handwriting is not always the most legible, I'll type them out. I'll keep his spelling errors.
And so he wrote:
Miss Florence E______
Hulitt Hall
York Nebr.
May 16 1942
Dear Bo
Well I am writing you to find out what you want for your birthday. The skys the limit and you can have what you want. I made 12.92 + 6¢ a hour for G.Y. last night so you can see I'll have a little money. I'll get around $70 for this weeks work and will get paid on Friday so answer me right away. You can have some money or Ill send you some thing from here. I haven't been working very hard but have been putting in long hours. I am learning how to weld all over again, what they taught me in Vegas was all wrong, but I'll be making $7.43 a day while learning.
Just ate Breakfast & am getting ready to go to bed (12:00 noon) I got a letter from Ma but she didn't say much as usual. Well I hope you are really knoking them over a college. Us E______s have it in us but know one nows it, ain't that right kid. Now listen Florence Emma if there is any thing you want just let your little brother in on it and we'll see what we can do about it.
Well I'll have to close now & go to bed so write soon. I fact write on the same day you receive this. Inclosed as you all ready know is a self addressed envelope.
(no signature)
I don't have Bo's reply (why aren't the letters from his family around?), but a few days later (gee, the air mail was fast!), Jack wrote again:
May 20 1942
Dear Bo
I got your letter in reply to mine & was dissapointed. If some one wrote me & told me I could have most anything I would have gone higher than 2.95 I would have hit the $100.00 mark or something. Well kid I am sending 10.00 and want you to go out and blow it.
I got a letter from Wayne and he told me about everything & how his pocketbook was getting along so I sent him $5. He has been doing much except run around.
I got a letter form Mrs. Goodwin & a letter from Ma today. She didn't have much to say but was glad to hear from her anyway. She said she may go to York, boy that would be swell I think. Tell Tuck and Jim I said hello & will write as soon as I get a chance.
Ill close now & write soon.
Jack.
Bo must have sent a thank-you note, and here is Jack's reply.
May 28, 1942
Dear Bo
Well I got your letter this morning and that first page really builds a guy up. Well if you need any more money to go home on or just need any money write me or if you don't have time just send a wire and I'll send you what you need.
Boy out here we really know we are at war, as we go in to the gates at nights we have a machine gun staring us in the face, and it isn't just for looks either. I noticed that all the Marines had belts of tear gas bombs. I saw a submarine come in yesterday and also saw it while I was in the yards this morning.
Say Florence would you like to come here and work & make some money or would you rather go to school, if you want to come here I will furnish all necessary money to get here & get started. But if you start to school you will have to go until you are through & I don't mean the summer.
Ma wrote and said she hadn't heard anymore about going to York so she probable won't get to go. I got a letter from Wayne but he didn't say a whole lot, he just told me what he had been doing and thats about all. Say tell Margaret & Jim to write and give me there address & I'll try and write them. Boy to write to every body keeps me busy because I only have about 2 hours a day to do it in.
Well I close now & you better write soon. Don't forget what I said about any money.
Jack
a week latter
May 30
I'm sorry I did sent this but forgot to. How did you come out on the election.






2 comments:
Fascinating. Our dad doesn't sound like Dad in these letters. Thanks, Izzy, for the transcriptions.
I guess some people change with age and the responsibility of having children. He was only 19 then. Yikes! He was still a kid himself!
Post a Comment