Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer Solstice Parade

Happy Summer!


Santa Barbarans love summer! One of our beloved community events is the annual Solstice Parade. It is part music, part dance, part art, part theater, all fun. This parade is unique, as there are no printed words allowed, no motorized floats, no animals; just people making merry! It was a perfect summer day, temperature in the mid-80s at high noon!

This year's theme was "Solar Flairs."

Here are some pictures and a few videos. The videos are each only a few seconds long. They give you a tiny taste of the party atmosphere.



I wish I remembered at the beginning of the parade
that I had a video feature on my camera;
this group was good!



Santa Barbara's Mayor, Marty Blum






A Lounge Lizard


Again, Hula-Hoopers difficult to catch with a still shot.




This picture shows about a third of the hanging triangles float.









I tried loading these videos on YouTube, but they didn't work at all. And after hours of telling me they were uploading! Boo! Enjoy the Blogger versions, anyway.












3 comments:

Poss said...

looks like great fun!
We love Parades

P-Doobie said...

I liked the dancers in the first video. They are great!

RetroMag said...

Very innovative people in Santa Barbara! The costumes were great, especially the hats!