Saturday, June 28, 2008

Early Summer Hike

I walked along San Antonio Creek again today. It was a real pretty morning after the fog burned off.

Now that it is summer, the wildflowers are just about gone. The creek is quite low, and even dried up in long stretches.

Low Water


No water

There were very few flowers. Here was an asparagus-looking plant at the top. Maybe it is indeed asparagus?




Though the area is drying up, I did enjoy seeing a bunny, bees, butterflies, boulders, a bunch of lizards, and birds!


Not the bunny I saw (he was too fast), but one like it.



A bee enjoying a flower


Cabbage Butterfly


Sandstone Boulder and Coast Live Oak


One of bunches of Alligator Lizards


I surprised a covey of quail, and they hustled out of sight. I was able to catch Mom before she went under the brush to collect and reassure her babies. I listened to them for quite a while murmuring among themselves. And darn it! I forgot again that I had the movie feature on my camera. I could've recorded their sweet voices. I did find this, though. My quail sounded softer than that, and there were cute baby voices answering back. But you get the idea.


6 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Your quail pictures are so good! I have a few that I took with my Sony Cybershot and now I've decided that I need a new camera. I talked to the photographers at work and they recommended a Nikon D60. They all use Nikons at work and at home, so I'm looking into it. I need a bigger zoom lens. I may try to post some pix of my quail with the babies, but I don't think you can even see the babies. Thanks for your outdoor walks!

RetroMag said...

There are certainly a lot of interesting things to see on your hikes, even though most of the flowers are gone. I love lizards.

Shoe said...

I really love my camera. It is a Canon PowerShot A720 IS. It got very good reviews for a compact camera. The 8 megapixels are great. I was impressed myself with how well the quail shot came out. I was pretty far away. It has a 6x optical zoom. Your D-60 looks like a good 'un too.

I'm glad you two liked my post!

P-Doobie said...

The flower may be a a cow parsnip. Do NOT eat it. Water hemlock, which it also resembles, is lethal.

Chuckbert said...

I think the mystery plant is a sweet fennel. Those smell like anise. I take bits off of them when I take my walks and sniff them. Mmmmmm.

Cute quail!

Shoe said...

You are right, chuckbert. Today I was driving along with the windows down, and I suddenly noticed the smell of licorice! Looking out, I noticed the bank by the road was covered in sweet fennel! It smelled yumptious!