I was so jealous of Chuckbert's (mostly) wild flower walk, that I chose Rattlesnake Canyon for Friday's hike. This trail has more sunny intervals, and it is at higher elevation (read: more rain), so I was hopeful that I'd get to enjoy some spring flowers.
It was another gorgeous day here! This is my favorite Santa Barbara hiking spot. The trail head starts at Skofield Park, crosses the creek several times and end up at Gibraltar Road.
View Larger Map
Unfortunately, Rattlesnake Canyon was woefully lacking in flowers, though there were a few species. I offer some to you:
Milk Maids
Rock Rose
Blue Dicks
Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
(click the pic to see a bigger Mr. Butterfly)
(click the pic to see a bigger Mr. Butterfly)
Here is a picture taken from Tin Can Meadow. I'll be trekking up the Eastern flank (the mountain on the right). (by the way, I took this picture with my cell phone -- I'm so impressed with technology!)
Here is the reward for my hard climb. Isn't the view amazing?!
It took me a lot longer than normal to finish this hike. On the way up, I was pokey because I was stopping to smell the (rock)roses, and I had to stop to talk to the teens on my cell phone. Also, I was very pokey at the very end. It is quite a steep climb for the last 3/4 mile to Gibraltar Road--and I'm not in my top shape.
I enjoyed the view for a while, and then had to face the descent. For some reason, my knees did not do well on the way down. Both of them hurt like ba-jeezus with every step down even the mildest of declines. I was on the verge of tears a couple times! What goes up must come down, however, so I had no choice but to grimace and bear it! I really felt like calling a helicopter rescue, though!
I've never had that happen! I hike at least a couple times a month, and I do this hike at least once or twice a year. Why did I suddenly have so much trouble? I'll tell you one thing, though: I'm not going to let it beat me! I'll give it a couple weeks, but I'm going to tuck some ibuprofen in my fanny pack next time and tackle the mountain again! I can't resist!
4 comments:
Years ago I was walking past the elevators at work and one of my colleagues who does a lot of biking and other exercising was waiting for the elevator. I wondered why somebody so fit would be waiting for a ride to go one floor (it was the middle of three floors). He told me that going down stairs was bad on knees. So maybe you're feeing the problems with climbing downhill.
My cell phone's camera doesn't seem to take as nice of pictures as yours so I've lugged my camera on my photo journeys. I should give the phone another chance (but it doesn't have a zoom).
Didn't the caterpillars that fed on the Virginia creepers on the side of the house turn into swallowtail butterflies? I feel so guilty about exterminating those green juice-filled caterpillars.
Really beautiful flowers, butterfly, and scenic views! But don't punish your knees for hurting you! They're just trying to tell you something, like it's always harder on them going down than going up. Call in the helicopter!
Yes, indeed, many a tiger swallowtail met its demise after being plucked from Virginia Creeper. Here is a pic of a Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar. I love their "eye" markings!
Now you know better, so no grudges! ;)
BTW, most of the pix were taken with my old digital camera. I wasn't able to take many due to my poor planning (nearly full small memory card), so I supplemented with my cell phone, which is pricey to send over the network. Next time, I'll check batteries and memory card before heading out!
Post a Comment