Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Patrick Stewart

As you know, Patrick Stewart is my favey actor. (Here is my one-and-only name-dropping opportunity) I met him when I went to Theater in England in 1984. He co-taught the class with my favorite professor, Murph Swander. People know him as Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek, or as Professor Xavier in the X-Men, but they don't know that he first and foremost a Shakespearean actor. During one class in Theater in England, he performed a short scene as Shylock from Merchant of Venice. It gave me chills. Anyway, here is another fine performance from 1969.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great performance! Does he still perform at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre? Jack and I attended a performance of "Julius Caesar" there, and I didn't breathe during the entire performance! I can't find my program, so I don't remember if he was in the cast that night.

P-Doobie said...

I saw Roger Rees as Hamlet in the RSC's production of "Hamlet" on May 29, 1985. It was like I was seeing the play for the first time. When Rees did "To be or not to be," I was crying and saying to myself, "Don't do it! Don't do it! You have a lot to live for!"

Sebastian Shaw played a gravedigger in the production, and May 29 was his 80th birthday, so Rees led us all in a rousing chorus of "Happy Birthday" at the end of the performance. Shaw was Darth Vader in the scene "Return of the Jedi" in which Vader is unmasked.

Shoe said...

oh my gosh, P-doobie! We saw the same production! I saw it the summer of 1984. Amazing play!

Sebastian Shaw came to our class to discuss theater and Shakespeare. He gave a performance in the old days' style. It was hilarious!

Maggie, Mr. Stewart is playing Macbeth in New York right now. This summer he'll be playing Claudius in Hamlet with the RSC.

I wanna go!