Friday, January 14, 2011

ROAD TRIP!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."  ~St. Augustine

The next few posts will be a travelogue. Kevin, Emily and I are on a road trip through the Southwest.  This post covers Wednesday morning!

We set out at about 5:00 on Tuesday evening.  Our plan was to travel through familiar California while it was dark and have the maximum daylight for trekking over Arizona.

So, we stopped in Needles for the night!  We woke bright n early to start our adventure in earnest.
The usual Needles, CA attraction:  Motel 6!

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."  ~Charles Kuralt, On the Road With Charles Kuralt

Mr. Kuralt was only part right. We drove on Interstate 40.  You can see plenty if you open your eyes and look out the window! On the Interstate, however, roadside geology is literally roadside geology.  It was unsafe to stop, but we enjoyed the formations! 







Well, some of us did!


We stopped for a break in Seligman!


And on the 497th mile of the trip, we were thinking about Chuckbert.

Somewhere in Western Arizona, we passed through Hell.*
Dang it!  I shoulda slowed to 66mph!

Humphreys Peak near Flagstaff


*Actually, the way things are there these days, I feel that all of Arizona is Hell!


Now, continue on to the afternoon journey in Part 2.

2 comments:

Chuckbert said...

I always enjoy those roadcuts going into Kingman.

You shouldn't photograph while driving. Especially at 80mph.

Kevtegr8 said...

snapping pictures of your dash while doing 80? I'm glad I was sleeping :)