The
Santa Barbara Botanic Garden has a plant sale every October. For weeks I waited in anticipation for Saturday, when the sale began.
I got a bunch! Kevin had the idea of making a border hedge along the sidewalk in front. I bought some ceanothus to put there. We alternated
El Dorado and
Dark Star. I've coveted an El Dorado for the past two years! Our front border looks good, and will look great when the plants grow and fill out.
I also got some plants to replace favorites that I lost in the last year: an
Island Pink Yarrow and a
Bush Poppy.
I brought home two more
California Fescue bunches. I have one still growing, which is two years old. I copycatted my friend "Lou Lou"after she picked out some irises. I bought two native irises, one called Little Witch and something else. I can't remember, but I think it is Midnight Muse. I can't wait until they bloom!
I also planted another variety of Manzanita, this time
Sentinel, another hummingbird favorite! Yay!
Kevin wanted an oak tree to be the eventual centerpiece to our front yard, so I bought a
Coast Live Oak seedling. It is a species that is not only native to the area, but native to the ground under our feet. Our house sits on a former oak riparian woodland. Welcome home, little Quercus!
Here are the pictures.
 |
| The front sidewalk |
 |
| El Dorado Ceanothus |
 |
| Dark Star Ceanothus |
 |
| Little Witch Iris |
 |
Bush Poppy
|
 |
| Bush Poppy Flower |
 |
| Midnight Muse (?) Iris |
 |
| California Fescue |
 |
| Sentinel Manzanita |
 |
| Coast Live Oak |
5 comments:
Very pretty. Thanks for the pictures w/captions.
Come do our yard! Same climate (almost)!
You have such a pretty yard!
I love it! Can't wait to see it grow.
What a great plan! I can't wait to see it.
Post a Comment