Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Break Vacation: Yosemite 2

Part Two-B: Yosemite Valley Day 2

The nice thing about staying in a lodge room is that there are curtains and you can sleep in on your vacation. When camping, you must wake up with the sun!

After breakfast at the Food Court, we left Erin in the room while the rest of us went to hike Vernal Falls. Great hike!

We made it to a gate that said, "Trail Closed for Winter" and a sign pointing to an alternate (longer) route. As we sat debating what to do, here came a Ranger! She unlocked the gate. Trail Open for Spring! Yay! What luck!

Here are the guys on the trail. You can see Yosemite Falls in the background.











Much of the last half is made up of about 635 (I counted) granite stair-steps built into the trail. It was a work-out! Mike was hurtin' on the way down, having hurt his knee the day before.





Who is that at the top of this section of stairs?


It's Kevin!







The waterfall was beautiful!







Here is a photo and a video from the top:









3 comments:

RetroMag said...

Well, I guess I missed my golden opportunity to explore Yosimite by about forty years! I certainly couldn't maneuver those steps now! Did the CCC boys carve them out? What stunning scenery! Your video from the top of the falls was spectacular!

Poss said...

very pretty,don't think my knees could do it now.

P-Doobie said...

Thanks for another great hike, Izzy!

Word verification suitable for a photographic essay: shoot