We piled in the car on Tuesday and headed for Yosemite! We stayed in the Valley. Since it was chance-y to be good weather for camping, and because this old broad thinks camping is a lot of work, we stayed at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Nice!
We got there at night after travelling through beautiful California all day. We went through five geologic provinces: Basin and Range, Mojave, Transverse Ranges, Central Valley, and Sierra Nevada! California is great!
The first day, we took the short walk to the base of the Lower Yosemite Falls. Spectacular falls! Last time I was in Yosemite, I was disappointed that the falls weren't running. They were at full force on this beautiful Spring day!
My camera didn't do so well on some of the photos, overexposing the white waterfalls and underexposing the shadowy areas. But here they are:
Handsome guy waiting for the shuttle.

We saw a few deer. Here's one.
We also saw a bear as we came back from the Lower Falls trail. He was resting under a tree. I didn't take a picture cuz it would've looked like just a piece of granite. But believe me, he was there!
After our little warm-up hike to view the Lower Falls, we found the trailhead to hike up to the Upper Falls. This trail is a bear! Just a mile to the Colombia Rock overlook, it felt like 5 miles. Maybe it was the 1000 foot elevation we gained in that short mile. Erin and I had to take numerous breath-catching breaks, and the men-folk, much more athletic and in-shape, continued the hike all the way up to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls!
Folks, this is the highest waterfall in North America! They gained an elevation of 2,600 feet trekking up to the top!
Unfortunately, they didn't have a camera, so I can only share Erin's and my views of the section we completed.

Some views of the Valley:




Going a little farther from Colombia Rock, you can see the Upper Falls. I went on. Erin stayed and napped at the overlook.


There was a little snow along the trail. Erin had wanted to play in the snow, so I brought some back for her!

It was a great first day!
Folks, this is the highest waterfall in North America! They gained an elevation of 2,600 feet trekking up to the top!
Unfortunately, they didn't have a camera, so I can only share Erin's and my views of the section we completed.
Some views of the Valley:
Half Dome
Little tiny ferns and moss (photo by Erin)
We spent a lot of time enjoying the sunshine and views at Colombia Rock.Going a little farther from Colombia Rock, you can see the Upper Falls. I went on. Erin stayed and napped at the overlook.
Upper Yosemite Falls
Rainbow from the Falls mist.
There was a little snow along the trail. Erin had wanted to play in the snow, so I brought some back for her!
Erin and her snow.
Erin and I got down in good time, and enjoyed a Coca-Cola at the Food Court near our room. Mike and Kevin showed up shortly thereafter. Mike had fallen and hurt his knee, and he was tired from the epic hike. He and Kevin were really happy they made the trek, though!It was a great first day!
3 comments:
Spectacular scenery! Beautiful people!
Those are certainly some B-I-I-I-G chunks of rock! And the falls --almost half a mile! WOW! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful pictures.
really pretty. Looks like you all had a great time. Yosemite is on the list of places to go--someday.
thanks for the inspiration
Very nice. I want to go there one day! Thanks for another great hike.
Post a Comment