Wednesday, April 22, 2009

California Poppies and Dancing Embers Sage

6 comments:

JoanieBaloney said...

Looking good! I have something in my yard that looks a lot like the Dancing Embers Sage, going to have to check that out.

Shoe said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Joni!

The Dancing Embers sage is the one that isn't a CA native. And in fact, I can't find anything on the internet about this plant. I'd love to see a pic of yours!

RetroMag said...

VERY pretty!

JoanieBaloney said...

It's hard to tell if we have the same plant but I will post 2 pics to my blog and you can decide. Mine is strange, it will get flowers several times per year but only gets leaves in the spring and summer. I have even seen flowers on it in the winter with snow all around! I had a hard time finding anything about Dancing Embers Sage also but found this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_miltiorrhiza which I think it might be.

Shoe said...

Salvia microphylla may be it, too, but the leaves are smooth on mine. Mine bloomed in the fall (when I planted it) and hardly had any leaves, too. Yours is different I think. Yours open up more and you can see the stamen.

http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/Salvia/salvia_microphylla.htm

BobbieS53 said...

I'm so glad your plants are blooming...if you put down more mulch, will it keep the weeds away? I love the California poppy!