Monday, January 12, 2009

Your kibble will be docked.

Poor Cocoa!

On Thursday afternoon, I got home from work and went to put Cocoa's leash on for a walk, only to find that her neck was wet and bloody. Apparently Kibble had overturned our new garbage can and defended its contents. She has been very aggressive protecting her foodstuffs, despite being the submissive of the pair.

I took Cocoa to the vet the next day, and found that it was a pretty bad wound. The vet had to put a drain in so that it can heal, and put her on meds. A blood panel showed her liver enzymes out of whack (unrelated to the wound), so more meds. She is on four different medications, and boy she is good at hiding them and spitting them out. We'll just call her McMurphy.

Cocoa is finally starting to perk up and feel better. I felt bad when I took to the vet today to get it looked at. She was all a-tremble with fear. She hates the place. Who can blame her? It hurts to go there! They are leaving the drain in until Thursday.

We've been keeping the dogs separate, needless to say, and I'm afraid we may have to always keep them separate unless they are supervised. Cocoa was pretty traumatized.

In the meantime, Kibble's kibble will be docked until she pays off the vet bill. That's a lot of kibble, believe me.





******STOP HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE PICTURES!******




















3 comments:

P-Doobie said...

I am glad your pup is doing better, Izzy.

RetroMag said...

Poor Cocoa! I hope her neck mends well, and also her liver.

BobbieS53 said...

I am so sorry that this happened to poor Cocoa. Dogs are so weird about food, fences, leashes and other dogs in the mix. I hope she heals up OK. What a pain to have to separate them. Hang in there!