Friday, April 9, 2010

A New 'Do Two!

Continuing my catch-up in blogging!  Thanks for following along!


So.  My recent medical problem led to iron deficiency anemia, which I did not realize I had until I started researching and putting two and two together.  I'm not so thrilled with my MD who didn't pursue a diagnosis when I reported clear symptoms starting a couple years ago.  In any case, one of the effects of iron deficiency anemia is hair loss.  The hair follicles enter a telogen effluvium.  I knew I was losing hair, and I asked two doctors about it.  After my own research, I asked for thyroid testing, which was negative.  I didn't put the pieces together until very recently.  I immediately put myself on iron supplements, then asked my MD for a blood test which did show anemia.  I've been on iron for nearly 4 months, and my hair loss is starting to slow down.

Long story short:  my hair got so thin that I was compelled to cut it.  I didn't do much to make a 'do, but a couple weeks ago, for the first time since adolescence, I cut off a significant amount of my hair.  I'm hoping that it will start to regrow soon.

Before-before.  This was taken in 1994 at a pumpkin-carving party.  This makes me cry.  My hair was so long and luxuriously beautiful.

10-28-94, from left to right, back:  Cheryl (leaning over), Craig, Evan, Jen.  Middle:  Kevin.  Front:  Mike, Erin, Izzy

This was right before I went to the salon.  This makes me cry, too.  Icky!

And this is after:  Looks better, I guess.  I'm not too thrilled.  I may do more to it, and if I do, you can bet I'll post photos here.  For now, it is acceptable.

Incidentally, another symptom of iron deficiency that I suffered was pica, specifically pagophagia.  You probably noticed that I constantly--and annoyingly to some--chewed ice.  It was a strong craving and was really getting bad.  I constantly had an iced tea near me, just so I could have the ice, and I sought out ice and would go out of my way to a fast-food joint to get some.  A few weeks after I started iron, amazingly, my craving disappeared.  I currently have no desire to chew ice.  When the craving started to wane, I thought maybe it was just a placebo effect, but Wow! What a marked difference!  I'm feeling more normal.  ...and --eeewwww-- feeling thankful that my pica did not take any other form!

7 comments:

Poss said...

as Bobbie said, hair grows. Mine has fallen out 2.5 times since I was 18. It grows, Hope it comes in thick and wavy!

BobbieS53 said...

Do not despair, Izzy! It will grow back and luxuriously, too. you will get your hair back...it's still longer than mine! ;o)

P-Doobie said...

Way to go, Girl Detective! Your hair will be back to its full glory soon.

Word verif: guingrok, the bad word you say when you fish hair out of the strainer after your shower

Chuckbert said...

Chewing ice is annoying to people nearby? Now you tell me.

I'm glad you've figured out what is going on and can do something about it.

Enjoy your thick, luxurious hair.

RetroMag said...

Dr. Izzy, I'm SO glad you figured it out and got the ball rolling to start feeling better! And do not despair about your hair - it will all be back soon!

RetroMag said...

P.S. And, Chuckbert, perhaps you should have your blood checked for iron deficiency?

Shoe said...

How do you lose your hair 1/2 a time??

Chuckbert, Erin was especially annoyed by my ice-chewing. But then again, she is annoyed by just about everything I do!