Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mr. Z

There is a lovely, pleasantly demented man at one of my nursing homes.  He was born in October of 1905.  Yep, that makes him 104 ½ years old!

I went in to check his swallowing (doing pretty well, all things considered) and got to chat with him a bit.  He proudly told me about his coaching years, being an All-American football star at USC, owning half the land in Santa Barbara ("I'm a very wealthy man!") and that he has a building named after him at USC.  I hope when I'm 104, I will have had such a wonderful life, at least in my own mind.... none of this is true! 

After hearing about his accolades, I asked him how old he is.  He dropped his voice to a conspiratorial tone.  "I'm not supposed to tell you," he whispered.  "I'm looking for a girlfriend."

He told me, though, that the doctors have said he has another ten good years left.

Yay for oldsters!

5 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

That's so sweet. Are you going to step up to the task of being his girlfriend? Mikey has nothing to worry about...your oldster won't remember anyway!

Shoe said...

Nope, I told him I was married. When he asked if I knew any single ladies, I told him all my friends are married but I'd keep my eyes open for him. He really is a sweetie.

P-Doobie said...

LOL!

RetroMag said...

If he owns half the land in Santa Barbara, maybe I should apply for the position ----

Shoe said...

RetroMag, key word is "if"--this man is truly a legend in his own mind!!