Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lucid Dream Realized

OK, I'll try not to bore you with dream stories, but this lucid dreaming is fascinating to me. I had another one this morning.

Again, the impetus was not being able to immediately fall back to sleep but noticing when I finally did. The trigger was a dream of holding Doughie in my arms and saying to her, "Oh, Doughie, we've been friends for 40 years!"

....hold on a tick...40 years? That's not a dog's life....! A dream sign! "I'M DREAMING!"

Again, I ran to Kevin to tell him. He was sitting at a big desk and said nothing as I told him I was having a lucid dream. "Look!" I exclaimed as I pinched my cheek. "I can't feel it! I'm dreaming!"

I tried the flips that the real-life Kevin had told me to try. It didn't work very well, though I attempted them a few times.

"I'm just going to fly!" I told him. "I will just flap my arms and try to get off the ground!" I was very excited!

It worked! I floated around and flew around outside. I was in Los Alamos, and I flew all around the street looking at the snow on the ground, sparkling in the moonlight (this came from BobBIE's texts of the previous night about the snowstorm). It was only the second time I remember flying in a dream.

After a while, I flew to the beach with some other flying people and as I sat on the beach in a beach chair, I thought it was about time to stop dreaming and get up. (I could hear Erin up and getting ready for school). I did stop the dream, but I didn't get up.

What a fascinating mental process is a dream in itself, but then to enter this state of lucidity...it is really cool. Brains are awesome! Read more about lucid dreams here. Go try it!

****

Plate o' shrimp! The quote of the day here on my blog is this:

"Let us suppose, then, that we are dreaming, and that all these particulars—namely, the opening of the eyes, the motion of the head, the forth-putting of the hands—are merely illusions; and even that we really possess neither an entire body nor hands such as we see." --Rene Descartes

1 comment:

RetroMag said...

Very interesting. Can you choose what you will be dreaming about? Thanks for sharing, but I think I'll just keep on daydreaming.