Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lucid Dream Sabotage

I've told you about Kevin's interest in lucid dreaming. Occasionally I experience one. The other morning, I had a very interesting dream experience.

It all started when I was awakened pre-dawn and couldn't get back to sleep immediately. I finally was able to get to sleep, and it was one of those times that I noticed I was falling asleep. This awareness set the stage for my lucid dream.

I dreamed that I was trying to use an elevator, but it wouldn't go to the floor I wanted. It went to a big science lab. The lab itself was the elevator. This "mechanical failure" is a hallmark of dreaming--how many times are you unable to use the phone or the brakes in a dream?--and I think it was what clued me into my awareness that I was dreaming.

I said to myself, "I'm dreaming! OK, Kevin told me that I need to stay calm. I'm going to be calm. Kevin also said that I have to believe I can do something, and I can do it in my dream. I'm going to believe."

I looked around and saw a man sitting at a desk. I thought, "I'm going to go take off that man's glasses. I know I can do this. I'm going to stay calm and I'm going to be able to take off his glasses."

I walked over and I took his big horn-rimmed glasses off of him and I put them on. My vision suddenly got blurry. It was all dream-vision!

Then cut away to me and Kevin talking. I was telling him all about the lucid dream that I had just experienced. He was listening intently.

I said, "Yeah, and my vision got all blurry. Not like right now. My vision right now is so clear ....I know that right now I'm not dreaming."

I must've had second thoughts about that because then I said, "Look, I'll show you. You always told me to test myself to see if I'm dreaming so that I can control my dream. Look, I'll show you I'm not dreaming."

I began to pinch myself.

Denial is a powerful force.

I didn't feel the pinches. I pinched all along my arms. I didn't feel it. But I said, "Ow! Ow! Ow! See? I'm not dreaming."

Dream Sabotage! Damn!

Since I seem to follow Kevin's instructions very well in my lucid dreams, I asked him for an assignment for my next one. He told me to do a flip in the air. ......Stay tuned.....

1 comment:

BobbieS53 said...

Yikes! I guess I need to try to control my dreams.