Friday, November 27, 2009

Easy Turkey (or Chicken) Pot Pie

I found this easy recipe from Food & Home magazine, which we get free in our mailbox every once in a while. I've made it a few times, and it is always a hit. The original recipe called for chicken, but it was a perfect use of our leftover dark meat Thanksgiving turkey. The original called for puff pastry from Trader Joe's, as well as one of those whole grilled chickens from TJ's. They've discontinued both of those, so I use "Just Chicken" from TJ's, for ease, and a puff pastry from the regular grocery store.

Chicken (or Turkey) Pot Pie

The crust:
1 package frozen puff pastry
Egg Wash (one egg mixed with 1 T. water)

The filling:
1 T. olive oil
1 container of mirepoix (found at Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup fresh, small button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup frozen peas (defrosted)
about 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or turkey!)
salt and pepper to taste

The gravy:
3 T. butter (the recipe called for clarified butter, but honestly, for gravy? Who'll know?)
3 T. flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
squeeze of a lemon
dash of hot sauce

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Take puff pastry out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature. Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the mirepoix and mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken and peas and cook an additonal 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Prepare the gravy. In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter until hot. Add the flour all at once and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, squeeze of lemon and dash of hot sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon.

Mix vegetables, chicken, and gravy together. Spoon into an 8 x 13 pan. Cover the chicken mixture with puff pastry. Brush top with egg wash. Bake in 400º oven for 30-45 minutes, until puff pastry is golden brown.

Note: I did a quick measure of the veggies in the mirepoix, if you want to chop them yourself. It was about 1 1/2 cups diced celery, 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1 cup diced carrots -- I think! I didn't measure them very accurately. The mirepoix is so easy, though!

Enjoy!

Here it is before baking:


And here it is ready to eat!



There is usually a little bit of puff pastry left over. I spread it with butter and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar, baking it until it is cinnamon-y, buttery, puffy, and yummy!

2 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

I'm going to have to run to the store and get puff pastry! Yum!

RetroMag said...

Sounds and looks wonderful!