Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Strange Pull

After watching the President's speech to America's schoolchildren today, I felt a strange pull. I don't know what it is, but right after I heard Obama talk, I wanted to work to establish a new economic system in this country. I wanted to go to the library and read some works by Karl Marx. That Obama has real powers!

Who else feels perplexed by the "outrage" by some Americans about the speech? I feel sad, too, that the President is looked upon as some sort of enemy. When the news came out about his proposed speech, there was misinformation and fear swirling around those groups who don't like Obama. It seemed silly and a bit frightening all at once that people can blindly make decisions like that.

As President Obama said today, "And that’s what I want to focus on today: the responsibility each of you has for your education. I want to start with the responsibility you have to yourself."

Education. Reading. It's not just for schoolchildren anymore.

1 comment:

P-Doobie said...

Actually the GOP is a fraternity: it's like a cult, but with less reading.