Thursday, August 20, 2009

M/S Splendor - Puerto Vallarta

On Wednesday we stopped in Puerto Vallarta for the day.

Kevin, Trish and I got up early for a Jeep Adventure! Trish chose this excursion, and it was fun!

We got in a Jeep and, along with half a dozen other Jeeps, caravaned through Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas for a cool adventure! Kevin was so tired, after having a very fun, late night the night before. He slept a lot of the way, even on the bumby dirt road!

We stopped at the start of the dirt road. ¡Bienvenidos a México!



Instant banditos!








We got to drive through some little water crossings--we were encouraged to go fast to get a big splash!



Whoooo-hoooo!

Our first stop was a small village in the rainforest. We learned that Mexican families live a simple, yet happy, life.










Kevin slept. He lives a simple, yet happy, life.


There was a cockfight -- no one got hurt.






We stopped at a tequila factory and learned how tequila is made, and we got to try some. I had never sipped a high-quality tequila. It was pretty good!

The hearts of agave before cooking.


Old-fashioned cutting and crushing machinery.


Three distillations before the good stuff.

We next drove to the beach where we had a nice lunch: quesadillas, nachos, and cold beer. We stayed in the cool of the covered restaurant patio for the hour we were there.







Driving back through the business part of town was an adventure in itself. Seemed like the streets were a free-for-all. There were unusual go-right-to-turn-left spots, sort of like what we had in New Jersey. There was a lot of traffic, and I was determined not to lose the caravan, like I had a while back! I had to be assertive--especially with the yellow lights! Yee-haw!

We made it back to the ship safely! What fun!

3 comments:

Chuckbert said...

Something I seem to remember from our trip to Chihuahua about driving in Mexico is that yellow lights mean both directions are free to go.

It's fun to have fun on vacations. Especially with old friends. I'm happy to see that you had fun!

RetroMag said...

It appears that you had a fabulous time. I love those sunglasses! And the sunset was spectacular. Nice photography all the way around! Was that just a normal everyday cock fight?

Shoe said...

Chuckbert, I don't think that is true now. The green flashes in preparation for yellow, but other than that, the signals are the same as the US. There weren't too many cars wrecking!

RetroMag, I think a couple of the village children put the cocks up to the fight. After a few minutes, our guide said, "enough!" and the boys picked up the gallos.