Woke up to foggy cool skies this morning again. Whew.
This morning's press release states that only a few homes (140) are still under evacuation. These are the northernmost areas, where the fire is still active.
From the City of Santa Barbara fact sheet this morning:
• 8,733 acres burned
• 55% contained
• Damage assessment in progress – initial estimate of 31 homes destroyed, 47 homes have been damaged and 2 outbuildings destroyed
• Approximately 140 properties evacuated (mandatory evacuation orders); affects approx. 350 people
• More than 3,850 properties under evacuation warning; approx. 9,625 people affected
• Residences threatened – 3,500; commercial properties threatened – 100
• 4,543 personnel on scene: 509 engines, 109 crews
• 5 air tankers and 15 helicopters
• 18 firefighter injuries to date
• Cause under investigation: Tip line – 805-686-5074
• Air quality warning remains in effect
• Estimated costs to date $7.4 million
• Expected containment 5/13/09
Given the ferocity of this fire, it is amazing that only 31 homes were destroyed. We're all so grateful for all the firefighters, law enforcement officers, Red Cross Volunteers, Humane Society and other animal volunteers, radio and print reporters, Emergency Operations people, and all the other people and businesses that pulled together to get us through this.
Now, three times in 10 months.....ENOUGH!
3 comments:
One of your reports said the possibility of arson. What I've learned from working at the Lab...you can't stop STUPID!!!
I am so thankful that they have a handle on it. I am sad for the people who lost their homes, but glad it wasn't any worse. I hope yhou are relaxing now.
Three fires in ten months In the same area? I thought it was two and thought two was too many!
I haven't read anything about arson, BobBIE. The latest story on the Independent website is the possibility of it started by way of power tools in brush clearing.
RetroMag, if you look at my blog label "fire," you'll see my descriptions of the Gap Fire over 4th of July, 2008 (the one near us), the Tea Fire in November, 2008 (the one set accidentally by a group of students) and this one.
The Jesusita Fire was situated between the last two.
Post a Comment