We brought the truck that we bought from Trish. It has a camper shell. It's a nice little outfit!
The dogs aren't used to the truck. Just getting them in was a three-ring circus! They sat in the little backseat of the extended cab. Koneko was in her crate in the back with the stuff.
Kibble wanted to go through the connecting windows to eat Koneko. Had to close 'em.
Had to stop at the end of the street to retrieve something from the back. The killer camper-shell door knocked each of us pretty good on the noggin.
Not much room for big pups in the backseat. Restless. Kibble kept stepping on my seatbelt!
We finally made the hour drive and checked into the pet-friendly hotel. Erin made Koneko comfortable in the large closet. I walked the dogs.
I went to a nearby grocery with the pups and picked up some things for dinner. I brought in the groceries and the dogs. Erin started boiling water for pasta while I figured out the lock on the camper shell door, which decided to die.
I didn't bring much valuable, but wanted to lock it. Unsuccessful, I had to gather the one valuable thing, my jewelry, which was in a plastic bag. It started tearing from the weight. Hey, I have a lot of bling, you know. So, I struggled with finding another carrier, and with arms full, headed back in.
When I got to the door, Erin opened it. "One of the dogs had diarrhea!" Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!
"Take the dogs outside! I'll clean it up!"
Another trip to the store for materials to help.
Finally, dinner and reading and bed, lovely bed!
Cocoa decided the bed was a fine place to lay her bones. Sleeping in a crate all her life, away from her people, I bet it was quite nice to cuddle up to me. She was a bed hog! Despite that, we all slept pretty well.
I talked to Mike and he said that it is foggy and drizzly in the city this morning! YAY!
There was a press briefing this morning, and here are the latest stats as reported by the Santa Barbara Independent.
*8,700 acres burned
* 30 percent contained
* Damage assessment in progress. Initial estimate of 80 homes have been damaged or destroyed
* Approximately 12,204 properties evacuated (mandatory evacuation orders); affects about 30,500 people
*More than 11,524 properties under evacuation warning; approximately 29,000 people affected
* 3,500 residences threatened; 100 commercial properties threatened
* 4,222 personnel on scene, 499 engines, 101 crews
* 11 air tankers and 13 helicopters
* 13 firefighter injuries to date
* Cause still under investigation: Tip line – 805-686-5074
* Air quality warning remains in effect
* Estimated costs to date $4.3 million
* Expected containment by Wednesday, May, 13
I don't know if they'll lift any evacuation orders today. We're debating heading home today or staying. At this point, the air quality will be the deciding factor. I'll keep you posted.
4 comments:
Traveling with pets is interesting. When we evacuated from the Cerro Grande fire and landed in ABQ, my dogs were pretty wigged out...couldn't figure out why we took them to a little bitty room and piled suitcases around them in the bathroom doorway....
I'm glad you rested. It is so stressful, I'm surprised you slept at all. I'm glad things are calming down somewhat.
I hope the drizzle turns into a downpour!
I'm glad you finally got some rest. Sounds like a most eventful trip! At least the stressful parts were different from the ones due to the fire.
When we were in Belen during the Cerro Grande Fire, we had roll call every morning. "Ike?" "Rfff." "Rosie?" "Brrt!" "OJ?" "F&#*!"
poor pups . Really poor Karen. the poops is bad enough in your own place butt....
Post a Comment