Monday, March 9, 2009

San Antonio Creek Walk

Sunday was a spectacular day! It was perfect weather, and I got myself into it. After some icky indoor work, I went for a walk along San Antonio Creek. Yay!


View Larger Map

There aren't too many wildflowers yet, but here are some of the treasures I found.

I was greeted early by this poor guy in the trail:



I didn't do a good job shooting these pretty blue flowers, but here they are. I think they are called Fiesta Flowers.




Mr. Stink Bug






Oxalis flowers are such cheerful harbingers of Spring!

And so are Swallowtail Butterflies!




I think she had just emerged. She was fluttering around just a bit, but mostly just sitting in the sun airing her wings. She was still in the same area when I returned. A closer look at the pictures shows that she is sipping water from the sand with her long proboscis!

After I got home from my walk, I weed-whacked the front. My new plants are all doing pretty well, and many are blooming. Stay tuned for photos!

3 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Your walks always produce such nice photos. At least you get to start enjoying spring. It snowed here yesterday!

P-Doobie said...

My friend Stevie told me, when he was a little guy, that stink bugs get their odor because they eat stinkberries. Did you see any stinkberries on your walk?

I don't think you remember it, Izzy, but when you were a little kid, we went up to the reservoir. There were hundreds of butterflies, which had apparently just emerged, sitting on the ground. We watched them for a while and then as if on some silent signal, they all fluttered into the air!

Shoe said...

BobBIE, I'm enjoying spring while I can, before heading east to the dooms of a Michigan winter!

I didn't see any stinkberries, p-doobie, but that doesn't mean there weren't any!

I don't remember the butterfly ascent. I bet it was stunning!