Friday, February 20, 2009

Jumping in the Cracker Barrel

Seems like every one else has tried Chuckbert's cracker recipe, so I had to follow suit tonight.

My recipe changes included:
  • I used salted butter, and then left out the salt (I was going to add part of the amount, but plumb forgot),
  • I sprinkled Kosher salt on top,
  • I used non-fat half-n-half.
"What's that? Non-fat half-n-half? I didn't know there was such a thing!"

Neither did I. Never buying half-n-half, I grabbed the one that my hand reached for first, not reading the label. It wasn't until I got it out for the crackers did I notice. Fat-free half-n-half. Isn't that an oxymoron?

I don't think I got the crackers thin enough, as they were soft-ish, except the ones on the edges, which were crispety.



They were good, and we enjoyed them!





They were plenty salty. I'll try the recipe again with real half-n-half, I'll roll them out thinner and maybe work them more to make them flakier (the added fat of real half-n-half should help, too), and I think I'll try Poss's technique of separating them before baking, as that will make them brown better, I think.


What's the story with fat-free half-n-half???

2 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

I'm really unsure about the fat free half and half. Jack drinks half and half in his coffee and I made the mistake of buying the fat free kind, too. It's not good and it spoils quicky. It is an oxymoron. Holy Moly! Half and half is half milk and half cream for Lord's sake! Cream is fat! What are people thinking?!?

I'm glad you enjoyed the crackers. What kind of cheese did you use? I'm going to make more! Yum! Yum!

Word verif: folem (into buying fat free half and half!)

RetroMag said...

I, too, was ging to ask how they get fat-free half and half.

The cookies look beautiful, but not as beautiful as the person sampling them!