Yesterday I hiked the Tunnel Trail to Inspiration Point.
You know that the Santa Barbara area was formed by layers and layers of (mostly) marine sediments (all but the Sespe Formation are marine layers). Look at these sediment layers in the foothills of Santa Barbara (click pic for better view).
How did they get to be vertical instead of horizontal?
I'm glad you asked!
After the sediments were set down, along came the San Andres Fault, about 5 million years ago. The fault developed a curve. As the North American Plate and the Pacific Plate continued their travels, the bend in the San Andreas Fault caused stress! The plates bumped against each other more directly, causing the east-west uplift, forming the Transverse Mountain Ranges, of which our beloved Santa Ynez Mountains belong.
Along the trail here, the lift is just about 90˚! That is a lot of lift! Isn't Nature powerful!
The Channel Islands are actually part of the Transverse Mountain ranges, too! At the top of my hike, I was able to see all the nearby Channel Islands (from left to right; East to West) Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel.
Anacapa Island (left) and Eastern end of Santa Cruz Island.
You can also see several oil rigs in the Channel.
You can also see several oil rigs in the Channel.
Santa Cruz Island and eastern end of Santa Rosa Island
Western end of Santa Rosa Island, with San Miguel Island to the right.
And here is a nice shot of La Cumbre Peak (3995 ft).
La Cumbre Peak
Side note: they are using goats as fire abatement in this area. That's right, goats! Fencing and signs about Brush Goats 4 Hire were posted. As I walked the beginning of the trailhead, I could hear big and little bleats. I got a quick picture of two bearded fellas, but couldn't take more. Their human mama was coming up the road in a truck to check on 'em, and I didn't want to be in the way.
Here they are, slightly camoflauged:
And now, the promised quiz.
5 comments:
Answers to quiz questions:
l.
2.
2.
4.
5. Me
1. The name of California's longest and most famous fault is the San Andreas Fault.
2. The feature of this fault that caused the Transverse Ranges to be formed is a curve that allowed the North American Plate and the Pacific Plate to interact more directly.
3. Izzy's favorite formation is Coldwater Sandstone.
4. You can find many fossilized clams on the Stevens Park trail.
5. I will hike with Izzy in 2009 to get a first-hand look at the geology and to get a free class in geology.
Yikes! I'd be cheating off P-doobie, the teacher's pet, if I answered now, but as to the answer of number 5, I, too, will be with Izzy in 2009 to check out these wondrous sites!
Teacher's pet?! I answered in complete sentences because I'm still afraid of Mrs. Singer.
You all three get an A+. The only question that counted was #5.
Post a Comment