Thursday morning bright and early, Erin and I disembarked to meet Randi from Randi's Happy Horses. I found them on the internet (great cruise forum!), and I'm glad I did!
We got to ride "open-air taxis" (aka pickup trucks with benches in the bed) to a little port. Here, the fishermen bring in their catch. The pelicans hung out in droves.
Erin snapped this great shot!
We took a little motor boat to the island and met with the horses. There were a lot of horses and other farm life.
This mama hen and her babies loved picking throught the fresh manure. The little black one had a hurt foot and couldn't keep up with the others. Sad.
We were paired up with horses based loosely on our previous experience (ie, "Have you ridden before?") Then we headed to the beach!
Once we were at at the beach, we could let the horses run as fast as we wanted. ....and they loved to run! Erin's horse and another lady's had leadership issues, and my horse liked to follow, so we got plenty of great galloping rides! It had been many, many years since I'd ridden a galloping horse. It was great! You would never have that in a trail ride in the US. It was really a thrill.
The scenery was beautiful, too!
Once we stopped, we were asked to stay on our horses until one of the cowboys could get our steed and tie him up. If they didn't get tied up quick, they headed home by themselves, like this guy.
We walked over to Victor's restaurant on the beach and had some yummy food and a couple beers. It was nice to relax on Mexico time and chat with the other riders.
We also got our first taste of the Mexican vendors with their cheap wares. I haggled (badly) for a ring for Erin. I did better later when I got Erin a purse.
One sad thing was that I lost an earring that Mikey had bought me on our first cruise. I was galloping away, and I felt it come out and fly away. That made me sad.
Back on board, we swam in the pool, sat on the deck and relaxed. It was a great day!
That night, Mikey and I really cut the rug! We danced and danced to 70s and 80s tunes in the Beauties club. It was a great night!
3 comments:
A great day trip! I haven't been on a horse since the '40s but I used to like riding.
The last time I rode was in 1993 or so when I was in the Big Horn Mountains. Freddie the Wrangler said I had a sloppy seat, and I was really put out until I figured out what it mean. He took me on a trail ride and galloped us through the forest. They should put seat belts and roll bars on those saddles.
Erin is a good photographer.
Post a Comment