Sunday, October 2, 2011

Weekend in Paradise

You know what I love about Santa Barbara?

I love that you can have a gnarly mountain hike in the back-country one day and a relaxing time, soaking in the rays at the beach, the next day!  It was a spectacularly beautiful weekend!

Here are pictures from the trailhead of my hike yesterday. It was down, down, down about 2.5 miles, and then --ulp!-- up, up, up again.  Good hike. My buns feel it today!

We hiked down the north side, away from the ocean.

View of Santa Barbara, the Santa Barbara Channel and the Channel Islands.

View of the Dick Smith Wilderness



And today, beach day! It was fun to see some marine mammals. Here is a video of them. The first bit is of some dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). They were very active and splashy.  I think they were having a feeding frenzy. I wish I had had my regular camera with me. But I took video on my iPhone anyway. You can't see them very well, but I really enjoyed watching them!  You'll be able to recognize the species in the second bit.  And you can see the cruise ship that is parked nearby! Yay cruise ships!

2 comments:

Chuckbert said...

Ooooh! A seaweed retriever! You don't see those every day.

BobbieS53 said...

Fun in the sun! Am I jealous!