The beginning of the trip was a little rough, literally. At about 4:00pm, the car shuddered a little. What the....? I looked at my dash and noticed the "Check Engine" light had gone on. Oh, no! I immediately pulled off the freeway to Middle of Nowhere, California. I asked around for a mechanic, and was pointed to a garage with really friendly folks.
By the time I got there, it was 30 minutes before closing, and they were full o' cars to tend to. But when they heard my predicament, Phillip came out to help right away. A sensor that relies on oil pressure had been triggered. Phillip checked the oil: nothing showing. He asked about when I had my oil changed. Just a couple months ago. Any leaks? Not that I know of.
Thank goodness the consequences weren't worse! And amazing that it lasted this long! I've been driving all over the Southwest with no oil!
Relieved, I hit the road again, and had spent only an hour getting the car repaired. The sun was setting as I zoomed into Twentynine Palms, so I headed on into the park.
I pulled into a campground to wait till dark so I could star-gaze for a few minutes. A group of four young men retured to their campground, made a fire, and turned on--what else?--U2's Joshua Tree. Perfect! I listened to my favey album from my favey band and gazed up for a while, thoroughly enjoying my first evening.
The following morning, I headed back. Two roadrunners and a jack-rabbit later, I was hiking.
I walked around Skull Rock, through the Hidden Valley, up Ryan Mountain, over to Arch Rock, passed by Cap Rock and trekked to Forty-Nine Palms Oasis. I figured I hiked about 9-10 miles all told. I was TIRED by the end!
I used my very cool Urbanspoon app to find a wonderful Thai restaurant in the nearby town of Joshua Tree. Wonderful, yummy dinner! My day was complete!
Here are pictures!
![]() |
| Look carefull in the middle: Mr. Roadrunner! |
| I love the tenacity of life! |
| Live Oak picnic area. Here grows a big oak tree in the middle of the desert! It bore lots of huge acorns, which the birds loved. |
| The bigger they come, the harder they fall. |
| Forty-Nine Palms Oasis |
| A pool at the Oasis |
| The Fiftieth Palm trying hard! |
| A fire burned the trunks of these palms but they are healthy. |
| Climbers enjoy these rocks! |
| Made it! The elevation gain was 1100 feet. Nice hike! |
I love the dikes through the monzogranite.
What are you waiting for? Get on Interstate 10 and get to Joshua Tree!




3 comments:
What spectacular photos! You really captured the essence of the park. And it is such a stupendous place! Thanks for sharing your hike. You must have been pretty tired!
Nice. I see your charged up your camera! Love all the funky cactus. (Go look at my blog...)
It really is a pretty park, next time...more time.
Really glad you got the engine light solved before disaster hit.
Post a Comment