This time, the Squid had a conference and I tagged along for fun. It was time for a getaway. Getaways are good. Even in Vegas.
Besides, I needed time to write!
As you know, I'm not a fan of gambling, so I took the opportunity to escape the ugliness that is Las Vegas and head out to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. I armed myself with the Brand! New! Camera! that Mikey gave me for my birthday.
It was wonderful to be able to drive just about 15 miles, reach the edge of town, and suddenly enter into wilderness!
The park has a 13-mile loop to drive, with plenty of opportunities to admire the geology as well as plenty of hiking trails. I had taken a wrong turn (Ahem, OK, a couple of them) on my way out there, so I got there later than I had wanted. So, I picked a random "moderate" hike and set out. It was nice; hardly anybody was on the trail on a cool, blustery fall weekday!
The sandstone is stunning. See?
I started my hike to La Madre Springs. Soon after I had started my hike, some fellow hikers pointed out a Bighorn Ram! If my goal had been to spot cool fauna, I could've turned around and went back, because Bighorn is the coup de grace!
Didn't he pose so pretty?
Here he is, showing off his beautiful big horns!
No more wildlife on the rest of the hike, but pretty sights! Come on!
| Wilderness. Just in case you didn't know. |
The flora was typical high-desert. I felt right at home. Piñons, lots of junipers, sagebrush, yuccas, cactus, Mormon tea.
| The Dam at La Madre Spring |
The spring area was a little more lush, and some wild flowers were still hanging on.
| A sign of Fall |
There were a couple of these concrete slabs right out in the middle of the wilderness. Old foundations?
This one had a tile-like floor.
There were lots of piñon trees, and many cones. I opened piñons from half a dozen trees, but they were all empty!
I added a stone to this cairn.
| The cross-bedding was gorgeous! |
Back in Vegas, I mostly wrote while he was in the conference.
We stayed at Ballys.
| Our room was the window in the bottom right of that ad: the top part of the "R" in "Rio" |
It was shabby. Ripped furniture, an old-fashioned TV, and graffiti in the table.
As for Elvis? We think we may have spotted him at the Wynn, dressed in fur from head to toe.
| A crappy photo of maybe-Elvis |
6 comments:
Nice shots, I like the original Las Vegas much better, it produced spectacular children!
Fabulous fotos. what a treat to see the sheep. and Elvis! Life just doesn't get any better than that.
Nobody ever told me there was a place of such beauty that close to Las Vegas. Those sandstone formations are spectacular. How did they get all those different colors layered together like that?
And the flora and fauna is beautiful. And that bighornsheep--majestic! Thanks for sharing the gorgeoous photos!
Congratulations on the Bighorn Sheep! I wish I could see one sometime.
I guess Las Vegas does have something to offer.
Wow! Nice shots. What a treat...you didn't tell me you saw that sheep! That is so neat. I, too, had no idea there was something like that to see in Vegas, baby!
Just a few hours on 15, straight shot, Chuckbert! You can see the new dam bridge, too! And maybe a Cher show, too!
Just don't try to go back on a Sunday during the day.
woa big horn! Sweet geology
Post a Comment