Sunday, September 21, 2008

May you see WHAT?!

Y'all know me; I am a 40-ish-year-old woman. I think just about anyone you ask would say I look around 40-45. I don’t look 30. I certainly don’t look 21!

Today I bought some Bacardi (remember my mojitos?) at our neighborhood drugstore, and I heard a question I hadn't heard in about 20 years.

"May I see your identification?"

I laughed, thinking she was joking, but she said no, she needed it; the policy was to card anyone who looked 40 or under.

What the heck?? What kind of policy is that??

I gave her my id, but instead of checking the date, she ran it through the card reader before I knew what she was doing. That really ticked me off! What an invasion of privacy!

And anyway! Just a quick look at the card would tell her I was over 21. It is slightly obvious! Photo on right=under 21; Photo on left=over 21. Big red bar across front = under 21.


My wrinkles may have given her another clue!

The whole thing is very weird. So I had to write a poison pen letter. {evil grin} I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Chuckbert said...

I tried to buy a pocket knife at a Sports Authority a few years ago. They wouldn't sell it to me unless I proved to them I was over 21. And the proof they demanded was that I run a credit card through their reader.

I didn't get a pocket knife that day.

Questions: Are under-21s not allowed to have pocket knives? Are under-21s not allowed to have credit cards?

MrBears said...

Homeland Security Ma'am. Everyone is guilty until proven innocent.
Now don't you feel safe!

P-Doobie said...

Did you know that an empty rum bottle is the perfect container for all the fixin's for a Molotov cocktail?

Everybody rise and sing along with me now: "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles . . . ."