Saturday, September 27, 2008

Creek Watch 1

Creek Watch: Santa Barbara Creeks Through the Seasons

Volume 1: Autumnal Equinox 2008

As you know from my many posts of my hikes, we are lucky here in Santa Barbara to have numerous nearby trails through oak-shadowed sandstone canyons. Invariably the trail will follow, and cross, a creek flowing through the foothills from the Santa Ynez Mountains to the Pacific Ocean, or (more precisely) the Santa Barbara Channel.

I thought it would be interesting to watch some of these creeks through the seasons. I decided to focus on four creeks, three of which run through my favorite hiking spots, and the fourth is our own nearby neighborhood creek.

They are San Jose Creek, San Antonio Creek, San Roque Creek and Rattlesnake Creek.

San Jose Creek runs near our house, right behind the houses across the street. It is in danger of problems this winter, as it runs right through the Gap Fire burn area. It will be interesting to see how San Jose Creek shapes up this winter.

San Antonio Creek is on the outskirts of the fire area.

San Roque Creek and Rattlesnake Creek are in Santa Barbara.

Here is a map. The blue balloon pointers are approximate spots where the photographs will be shot for this project.


View Larger Map

These photographs were all taken within a week of the Autumnal Equinox.

San Jose Creek:

San Jose Creek from Berkeley Rd. Bridge, Upstream


San Jose Creek from bridge, Downstream

San Antonio Creek:
By the way, when I was hiking here last week, I saw a large coyote! When he saw me, he ran before I could shoot him. My camera was in my fanny pack!


San Antonio Creek, Upstream


San Antonio Creek, Downstream

San Roque Creek:

San Roque Creek, Upstream


San Roque Creek, Downstream

Rattlesnake Creek:
I was pleasantly surprised to see that Rattlesnake Creek had quite a bit of water flowing at this late date in the season (rain year starts October 1).


Rattlesnake Creek, Upstream


Rattlesnake Creek, Downstream


Rattlesnake Creek Pool


Rattlesnake Creek Waterfall


And as a bonus, we shall also watch this meadow that is in Rattlesnake Canyon.

Meadow Looking Northwest
(see the hangliders?)


Meadow Looking Northwest


Meadow Looking Southwest

I hope this project will be interesting to all.

2 comments:

P-Doobie said...

It's interesting to see how the face of nature changes with the seasons. This is a cool project, Izzy!

RetroMag said...

Nice pictures, ad an interesting approach to a bit of Mother Nature. We'll be waiting for the next installment.