Friday, February 29, 2008

Poor Puppy

Poor Kibble pup. I had to take her to the vet yesterday.

She was resting quietly when suddenly she acted really scared, jumped in my lap, shaking and started having nystagmus. It looked like she was having a seizure! I called the vet right away and they told me to bring her right in.

When I got her leash out to go for a ride!, she was all better, but I took her anyway. I described her dingbat ways, like barking at Kevin coming home a couple weeks ago and her fear of lights (She runs and hides when the flashlight comes out, and she pee'd her trousers when we lit our Jack o'Lanterns and turned out the lights last October).

What does the doctor do first thing, but get her light to examine Kibble's eyes! After I just described her fear! Kibble freaked out and wouldn't let the vet examine her.

It could be neurological, but the vet doubts that it was a seizure. She thinks that it was a severe fear reaction to something Kibble saw or heard. The only stimulus that I noticed was that Kevin blew on some food to cool it down, right before Kibble freaked.

She gave me some handouts on dog fears and phobias and de-conditioning/behavior mod. We'll see if we can de-sensitize her to lights. Apparently submissive dogs are more susceptible to having fear reactions, and it tends to get worse as they age.

I tried to take her picture, but she is afraid of the camera--it flashes sometimes!

2 comments:

Poss said...

Poor little Bunny! I hope she either desensitizes or you find that she does have a neurological condition.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Kibble! What a strange reaction. Well, at least the vet has first-hand experience with her fear of light. I hope she doesn't have any more such episodes.