Friday, October 14, 2011

Dead(ly) Creatures

Wednesday. No work to do. Perfectly -- and I mean perfectly -- clear.  A trail called to me. It was my favorite trail: Rattlesnake Canyon.  I wanted to go all the way up to Gibraltar Road.

From Santa Babara Hikes: "This trail doesn't necessarily mean you will encounter a rattlesnake! That is just the name of the canyon."

From Great Outdoors.com:  "Indeed, you will be much more likely to see other hikers rather than rattlesnakes as this single-track trail snakes its way upcanyon."

From Hike SoCal.com: "Rattlesnake Canyon Trail is serpentine, but otherwise far more inviting than its name suggests."

From Wikipedia: "Rattlesnake Canyon stretches from Skofield Park into the Santa Ynez mountains. Its name comes from its serpentine shape and curves, not rattlesnake occupation."

Yeah. Right.

When I got to the top of the trail at Gibraltar Road, I stood enjoying the magnificent views. I was able to see Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, and San Miguel Islands! Spectacular. After I took a couple photos, I turned around to go across the road to get in the shade to look at my photos. As I turned around, I found this guy slowly crossing the road!



I couldn't believe it... it was high noon on a record-breaking hot day (95ºF), and there he was, moseyin' along!

The still photo I took was taken with such haste (I was in a rush to get some video) that I didn't get his full tail in the shot, but you can enlarge it to see the rest of him real good!  I think he is a Western Rattlesnake.





On down the trail, not too far from the top, I saw this. I think the circle of life is fascinating. And I found out beetles are strong li'l creatures!



I didn't take too many pictures during the hike because I wanted to push myself. I kept a good pace. I felt good afterwards!  Next spring, I'll go back and stop and smell the wildflowers.

The reward!

4 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Now you know why it's name is so...regardless of what the guides say! Nice shots.

Anonymous said...

Nice hike. Nice videos and other pics. Thanks.
Mom

P-Doobie said...

Very cool. Good eye!

Kevtegr8 said...

woa