Sunday, August 28, 2011

Jerkin' Back 'n' Forth

...which is what you can't help but do when you are feeling DEVO!

I recently won DEVO concert tickets from a local radio station!  I was the 17th caller, on my second dial -- and on my first dial I forgot to dial "1" first!  That was fun, and I got to hear my voice on the radio.

So, a friend and I headed down to the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills on Friday night. What a neat venue!  It is small and intimate, and they serve dinner at comfortable tables, and there is a bar. We were seated with this actress, her husband, who is a producer for The Fairly OddParents, and their kids, aspiring entertainers themselves. Also at our table was another guy in the biz, a radio personality, but darn that I didn't get his name. Dang it! I wish I could do some more name-dropping!

The room was eclectic:  people of all ages, from kids about 7 on up!  And the room was electric!  Lots of DEVO fans ready to have a good time. It was a fun show.

Our table was situated one table removed from the stage, and we got to see DEVO!

What fun!  The Spud Boys are older and rounder, but they still rock it. Oh, my! are they good!  They played a couple songs from their new album, Something for Everybody (which is a good album, btw; if you haven't heard it yet, go listen!).  Happily, though, they mostly played their "hits," including "Mongoloid," "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Whip It," "Freedom of Choice," "Gates of Steel," "Jerkin' Back 'n' Forth," "Girl U Want," "Peek a Boo!," "Uncontrollable Urge," and of course, "Jocko Homo," where they ask the famous question, "Are we not men?"  Booji Boy sang "Wonderful World" as the final number of the set, giving a shout-out to Michael Jackson.  creepy.  In a good, DEVO-kind-of-creepy way!

I took pictures only with my iPhone Camera, so they are pretty crappy.  But, hey, it's proof I was there!





Jerkin' Back 'n' Forth

Mongoloid




You can see videos of their recent tour and get a taste of what I experienced on their official website.

Last time I saw DEVO was about in 1990, a really great concert where we were right up against the stage. During "Mongoloid," I got forehead-to-forehead with the Mongoloid himself, Mark Mothersbaugh.  *sigh* I've never washed my forehead since!

To end this post, here is a video from the kids' show Yo Gabba Gabba!

4 comments:

Chuckbert said...

That's good!

Shoe said...

That one, too! ;-)

RetroMag said...

It must have been an exciting evening!

BobbieS53 said...

Are we not men? I always say, "We are not men...we are DEVO!!!" Yay!