Sunday, March 20, 2011

Woo! Another wet day!

It has been raining!  All night it seemed to pound. This morning when I woke up it was coming down in sheets!  It reminded me of January, 1995, when we had a one of a few "500 year storms."  That year, there was widespread flooding.  San Jose Creek (among others of our urban creeks) overran its banks and flooded the whole corridor, including the adjacent playground.  It buried the playground equipment about 4 feet of mud!

This morning I leashed up the doggies and we went to take a look at the creek.  As you know, San Jose Creek is often completely dry in the summer.  Even when it is running in the winter, you can often hop across it.  I showed you this creek during our rainy days of December, and it was impressive then. Today, it was really raging, just a couple feet below the bridge.  It scared Kibble, and she didn't like standing on the bridge to take pictures.  Here are some pictures and a video.

Looking upsream

Looking downstream




This gal was a little lost--she was wandering our street.  I wonder where her partner is?  I wonder if her nest got washed away?  Poor thing.


4 comments:

Kevtegr8 said...

holy crap

RetroMag said...

I hope the creek stays within its banks. That's a lot of water rushing along! Around here it could be classified as a river.

Chuckbert said...

Yikes! The rain just started down here. I hope we don't get that much. Yikes!

BobbieS53 said...

YIKES! Is right! I 2nd Kev's thought!

Word Verif: swallin - Yikes! It is!