Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Night Before Sunday

You know I was a prolific writer when I was a wee lass.  And when I was a wee bit bigger lass.  In the Great Garage Clean-up of 2010, I found some treasures. Yeah, treasures!  Believe it!

Here is one, circa PJHS.  There's no date or class notation, so I'm not sure if this was for fun or for a class!



'Twas the Night Before Sunday

'Twas the night before Sunday, when all through the house
Every wino was stirring, even the souse.

They brought out the pot and they brought out the beer
Uncle Charley was hung by the chimney with care.

The children were nestled all snug in their bed
While Susie was necking so busy with Ted.

When out on the lawn there rose such a clatter
As Butch strutted in and said, "What is the matter?"

Away to the window I few with a flash
As a cop hit his cycle with a bang and a crash.

He cried, "It's a raid!  The cops is here!
Hide all the pot and hide all the beer!"

When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But a tiny cop-car and some cops; it was clear.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick
I knew in a moment it must be "Cop Nick."

More rapid than eagles Butch dived under a chair
And he whistled, and shouted, and beckoned them there:

"Come Susie! Come Ronald! Come Rachel and Ted!
Come Alex, and Carol get yourselves out of bed!"

To the top of the porch came the cops one and all
"Now Dash away! Dash away!" cried Butch with a bawl.

So up on the housetop the coppers they flew,
The chopper with tear-gas and hand-grenades, too.

And then in a twinkling, Butch was up on the top,
Prancing and hitting each little cop.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney Cop Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in blue from his head to his foot.
And his clothes were all covered in ashes and soot.

Right after, Butch came, and drew out a knife.
Whoops!  That was the end of that cop's life.

Butch's eyes twinkled!  His dimples--how merry!
His cheeks were like roses; his nose like a cherry.

The stump of an arm he held tight in his hands
And the blood, it encircled his feet like some ma'ams.

One cop-a broad face and a round little belly
That shook when he cried like a bowlful of jelly.

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon brought in the troops to knock us all dead.

2 comments:

P-Doobie said...

Tender, luminous, and finely wrought. I think.

word verif--devineve: a divine evening

RetroMag said...

You wrote this WHEN?