Saturday, February 13, 2010

Convalescence

Random stuff from the last week or so.

After the first couple days and nights of anesthesia and pain medication-induced sleep, in which I blacked out and had absolutely no dreams, I've been having terrifically vivid dreams.  I've dreamed that I had a baby (!); I've dreamed about mom; about Chuckbert (you were a little mean, Chuckbert, when you were showing me the ancient tree with the root remnant 30 feet up.  Sorry I tried to water it); and I had one of those missed-going-to-class-all-semester doozies.  This time I turned it around and told myself I'm an adult and taking classes for fun, and I didn't have to attend if I didn't want to!  Whew!  Anxiety diverted!  I think p-doobie planted the seed in my head to do that in her comment on one of my previous dream posts.  I even had one of the "I'm tangled in my covers and can't get away from the monster" dreams, but I managed to turn that one around by realizing the monster was just Mike standing there. 

During my Monday at home, I was briefly tempted to watch morning TV.  Doesn't staying home sick mean watching TV?  After watching the inept Regis Philbin try to cook (he didn't know how to work a microwave), I quickly turned it off.  I had a fleeting thought of watching "The View."  Luckily, my anesthesia brain did not maintain control, and I turned to the newspaper instead.

The family was very helpful during my convalescence, attending to my every need.  I'm lucky to have such a supportive, loving hubby, because he really did take great care of me. ♥

I limped through work Tuesday through Friday.  Tuesday I made it to see just two patients and canceled the rest.  It was too soon.  Wednesday and Thursday it was about 5 each day, and then on Friday I worked about 3 hours at one facility.  I'm glad to have a three-day weekend!

I am so much better this Saturday.  Today I took no pain meds, not even OTC ones, until evening when it caught up to me.  I'm moving faster day by day.  I took a walk around the block yesterday.  It took me 15 minutes!  It will take me a while to get back to my speedy self.  I'm realizing just how fast I usually walk.  At one nursing home, there is a lady who has lost all inhibition, and she speaks her mind freely.  As I walked through the day room one day a few weeks ago, she said loudly, "There goes Miss Speedy!"  These days I've felt like Miss Sluggy.

I've been gradually resuming my responsibilities, like grocery shopping (with help to bring in the bags, of course) and preparing simple dinnertime fare.  Trader Joe has been helping with those duties.

Thanks to all for your support!

2 comments:

RetroMag said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Don't try to be Ms. Speedy too soon! Any invasion of your body takes a lot out of you, and it will be a while before the effects wear off.

I hope you were feeling well enough to enjoy those scallops the other evening.

BobbieS53 said...

I'm glad you are ramping up slowly. It takes so long to get those drugs out of your system...