Wednesday, October 14, 2009

New Plants!

It time for the annual Fall Plant Sale at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden! Yippee!

I bought a few new California native, drought-tolerant plants for my front yard. Here they are.

Dendromecon rigida ssp. harfordii, Island Bush Poppy. I had wanted to buy a bush poppy last year, but they were all out. This is a beautiful plant. I showed you a picture of one I found up on Gibralter Road one time.


Salvia leucantha 'Santa Barbara,' Mexican Sage Santa Barbara variety. OK, it's not native, but it is sooo pretty--and it's drought-resistant. This one is the "Santa Barbara" variety, so I figured it was close enough to native.


Achellia millefollium 'Island Pink,' Yarrow. This one struck my eye. Pretty pink flowers. I took a wet close-up this morning in the rain.





Salvia 'Whirly Blue,' Whirly Blue Sage. I love sages. I welcome another species. (The blue behind it, behind the fence, is Kevin's surfboard!)


Epilobium 'Chaparal Silver,'
California Fuchsia. When we lived downtown, we had some beautiful fuchsias in the backyard. It is such a pretty flower. When I found a native one, I had to get it!


Mimulus flemingii, Island Bush Monkeyflower. Monkeyflowers are some of my favorites. This one has a deeper color flower and broader leaves than my others.


Calamagrosits foliosa, Cape Mendocino reed grass. I tried this one before. I planted one last year, but it died or the gophers got it. It is designated as a rare, threatened, or endangered plant. It is a pretty bunch grass, so I'm trying it again.


Arctostaphylos 'Howard McMinn,' Howard McMinn Manzanita. Manzanita was another species I had thought about last year but didn't get. Here is Howard McMinn's variety!


As you can see, the plants are still in their pots. I wanted to wait to plant them until after this week's storm. The ground will be ready to accept them! Afterward, I'll show you how the whole yard is shaping up.

3 comments:

RetroMag said...

A very nice selection! All of the flowers are SO pretty!

BobbieS53 said...

Very nice, Bratling! We need to do some landscaping in our front yard. Native plants sound good!

Poss said...

It looks like you have a major makeover. It should be very pretty. I put in three pinon seedlings, a couple of pines, several chokecherry, a couple of oak and some serviceberries. With my less than green thumb....