Catalina Island
We rolled out of bed late on Tuesday. Breakfast buffet: breakfast-y!
We had docked early in the morning at Santa Catalina island. I ask you, though: how the heck does it take 14 hours to go the 22 miles to Catalina?!
We'd never been to Avalon before, so I was eager to visit. Mike and I headed ashore on tender boats. Kevin went ashore with his friends, and Erin stayed behind. Her preference was to spend some time in the pool and relaxing with a movie in the stateroom.
I hadn't researched Avalon, nor had I arranged for an on-shore excursion, so Mike and I just walked around and enjoyed the town and had a margarita before heading back. Darn camera pooped out on our way over, so we don't have pix of the town. Here are some pictures of our trip from the tender boat.
The tendering boats left from right under our balcony.
Motoring toward Santa Catalina Island.
On the second day, Erin also enjoyed having her first room service delivery. It was the one thing she was looking forward to, and she was sure to indulge!
Caesar salad was a favorite.
That afternoon, Mike, Erin, and I played a version of "Scattergories" in a bar--we nearly won! Here we are with some folks we met who we recruited to our team.
After Scattergories, it was time for a nap!
When I woke up, I found that we had set sail again and headed out to sea. We got to enjoy the sunset from our balcony. Ahhhhh.....Paradise!
This second night was designated formal night. Time to dress up!
Mike and I attended the captain's gala cocktail party. We danced a third of a dance (I was lucky to get that out of Mike), and we had a drink or two. The captain introduced himself and his crew. He and most of the senior officers are Italian. The staff is international, from the Philippines to the Baltic states, and everywhere in-between. Meeting a staff member with an American accent was actually quite a surprise!
Dinner was lobster. Yum!
That night we took in the "Here's Hollywood" show, a cheesy song-and-dance of movie tunes. I wasn't overly impressed. Lowell Sanders's "R-rated" comedy show at midnight was good, though! We enjoyed a few laughs!
The second night, Erin had found a friend and wandered the ship all night. She had fun!
Anyway, we all got in quite late again on Tuesday night and collapsed into sleep.
1 comment:
Wonderful narrative and pictures! Erin is a woman after my own heart: camping is staying in a hotel with no room service.
Post a Comment